Post-It Poetry / 2 November 1995
On August 8 and 9, 1995, I made two little books of things I scrawled on Post-It Notes while temping at the Bank of America. Some are little stories, some are random phrases, some are things from the radio, a lot are things I wanted to shout out at my co-workers but didn’t.
August 8: Josh’s Li’l Book of Love
- Shut your hole! asshead
- The Silence of Desperate Monotony, by 401(k) Allen
- Where do YOU work, ASSHOLE?
- Isn’t is hilarious how stupid and inefficient and worthless we all are?
- Jello Thinking!
- Advertisers so desperately want their product to be given a nickname by the consumers — “Sunny D?” “OK!”
- It’s a true story. You couldn’t make something like that up. You guessed it … safety.
- Numbers, files, Natalie Cole, Mariah Carey, Dan Fogelberg, Flashdance … What A Feeling, Air Supply, Lionel Richie
- The printer’s arm is broken and now it works better! THUMBS UP.
- Out out damned blue ink! Can you feel the love tonight?
- Dear Babette, Went to permanent lunch. Yours, Josh
- The Weather Channel via KOIT. What could be BETTER? (cher?)
- Hey! I’ve got an idea! Shut the fuck up! (bumper sticker idea #312)
- Yet another rubberband snaps, scarring my hand, flying to the table…in the shape of a heart. Ah, there’s still love in the world.
- Gaysian bitch session! Please vacate the room.
- I’m the soul surgeon. Malpractice!
- Taking a long break … COCKSUCKER?
- Once upon a time there was a temp who killed everyone and he was lonely and sad but soon got over it. The End!
- Everything I do … I do it for Jiffy Lube. On the Luuuuuuube Show
- My head is rotting with brain-crack and hot death
- This is exactly where I want to be this is exactly where I want to be this is exactly where I want to be this is exactly where I want to be this is exactly where I want to be this is
August 9: Oh, Josh Book Two
- I had a Sunkist for brunch with my crossword puzzle.
- All the trees in her yard were connected by tightropes … she never touched the lawn.
- A baffling display was put on by Hiney and Morris. We all went home giggling and shrugging.
- He walked the length of the world, baseball and daughter and Bible in hand.
- MORE bad ideas!
- Good morning! Time to shut up!
- She kept a little book of numbers locked in her drawer. A diary of daily favorites.
- A capacity for the mundane.
- 100% pure alphabetization!!!
- Horace played a mournful dirge on the cello. Doris pounded on his bedroom wall with a hammer. “Hush up!”
- Yes, because I’m not a complete idiot like you.
- WILL YOU PLEASE GET THE FUCK OUT OF MY WAY?
- Western Waste Industries Inc. 10-35-150-1901300
- She plays an instrument called a heinophone. It barks whalesong!
- He won the lottery. Built a fallout shelter, filled it with gas and food and clothing, but kept working at the mexican restaurant.
- It’s too bad Jerry Garcia’s dead but do they have to play his music all goddamn day?
- Nothing makes the day go faster than listening to your witty conversations.
- Once there was a man who wore orange boots and broadcast his voice to distant planets using only materials one could buy at Radio Shack and Home Depot.
- Braille crib sheets. Walls filled with braille-encoded novels — hands rushing towards the conclusion.
- Together they bought a house and never went into the basement.